Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Blocks blocks blocks (and a link party)

Quite a productive week!


The Ongoing Project List:
  1. Growing Up QAL - February block(s) are ready to be released on Monday (cannot share)
  2. Splendid Sampler - two blocks done (see below)
  3. Charity quilts - no progress
  4. SK project - no progress
  5. Molli Sparkle's "The Honey Pot Bee" - stitched my block (March) and completed one of the February blocks (see below)
  6. Project QUILTING - "Rough Texture", project done (see below)
  7. En Provence QAL - no progress
  8. Bullet Journaling into my Quilter's Planner - I was planning a "January" review but I didn't have time or energy to do this... so I will do it next month!
  9. 70273 Project - Four blocks done (see below)
  10. Book binding - no progress
  11. Twilters! Bee - new swap I joined, but haven't started this month block yet
--
My weekly contribution to the 70273 project.


--
When the Challenge 3 of Project QUILTING was announced I was trying to think what to use for my inspiration... and looking around me the only thing I could see was divisiveness and fear... so the only thing that came up to my mind when I thought about "texture" was barbwire.

I know how it feels to be in fear because I am an immigrant... I have the right religion (right, for now), I have the right skin color (right, for now), I come from the right country (right, for now), I have the right gender (at least if I just talk about make up and "dress like a woman") but I couldn't express my vote in the election. I respect the system, so that's fine, but I go to work every day for the American people, to support terribly sick people and give my contribution to maybe one day discover a cure for the worst illnesses. And the American people sent me a message that I am unwelcome, useless and unwanted. It is hard to keep doing my job... but then I go to work and I see real people suffering and I don't care if they voted for him or not: I will give them my decades of education, experience and hard work until they decide I am disposable. But until then, I will keep fighting for them too, because there is hope for humanity, we have seen it happening in the worst times of history: as long as some humans maintain some of their humanity and spread love instead of hate and fear, there is hope.

So this is my piece for the challenge

Rough texture, 5''x7''


I appliqued irregular strips of red, white and blue and I overlay a dryer sheet to create the texture effect and then I thread painted the barbwire design. I also cut out pieces of the dryer sheet just to add more interest in the texture.

--
After the sadness of the early days of the week, however, I decided to turn toward the positive part of humanity so I decided to focus on inspirational blocks for my Splendid Sampler (with selvages and batiks) journey!

Block 96 (which I rename "Peace in the sunshine")

Block 88... "Love is the answer"

--
And last, but not least, I stitched up the block for February The Honey Pot Bee.



--
How about you? What are YOU up to?
Link it here and share it with me!!


7 comments:

  1. yes focus on quilting if you have a difficult week - it works for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your challenge piece, with all the uncertaining in the world it does leave an unsettling feeling in the pit of our stomachs. We can only keep doing our best. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I say I love everybody's PQ projects, but I can't say that. I hate this. Not your work - that's amazing - or your creativity - which is wonderful - but the emotion rips my heart out. I'm sorry, and I'm working alongside you to try to make it better. WONDERFUL work on this project <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Trisha - wow on your creativity and interpretation! I live in a mostly Hispanic immigrant community and am in an interracial marriage with 3 bi-racial daughters. My oldest daughter has expressed the same feelings. It's been a very difficult time in our country. I love how you expressed this in your art! It's very powerful! I stand with you and marched in DC and will continue to work for justice! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just shared this with my daughter and she was so grateful to see someone else express her feelings through art! She's a costume design student and makes metal jewelry so really appreciates how personal art can be. I wondered if you'd be OK if I shared this on my FB page with your description? It's VERY powerful and more people need to see and hear stories like yours. If not, I understand the personal nature of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything you posted here! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!

UA-37918212-1