Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Monday, December 2, 2013

Iron Quilter 2 - Alice's Game

Finally my project for Iron Quilter 2 contest @ Missouri Star Quilt Co. can be revealed!!

Front:

Back:

It's called Alice's Game and the story behind the quilt is the following.

When I read that the challenge was to use some charm-packs a chessboard design was the first that came to my mind.

Then I remember that the book "Through the Looking Glass" (which is the second book of Alice in Wonderland) by Lewis Carroll starts with a chess-game.

Then I remember that the wonderful Jennifer @ Sewhooked had a pattern on Craftsy called "A friendly game" that consist of all the chess pieces, with paper piecing!! And they where almost the same size as the charms...

So basically squares + PP chess pieces + Alice obsession = Alice's Game!!

Note that I didn't even check which kind of fabric I had to use :)
I just bought 3 charm-packs and waited for them to arrive.
Then when I tried to put together the chess-board I realized that some of the prints where not very "chessboard-like"... some of them where kind of almost light enough to be in the board... but not quite... so what to do? I didn't want to buy fabric for this project... so you know what I did? I turn them on the wrong side! :) in this way they where still blending gracefully with the rest of the charms, but they were lighter so more suitable for a chessboard :) :)
Some other colors/prints made it to the border... and some made it to the back :)

Also the back was totally unplanned.

The left-over blocks were flowers and greens... so I though I could put together a simple "garden-like" back.
But then I had two or three half blocks of pinks and purples... and they just screamed at me "Chesire cat!!" And from there it was just a matter of collecting other scraps from the charm-packs, adding the brown, and I got the back!!
I don't even know if I like the front or the back more... I think that the quilt has two fronts :) :)




BTW: this is what is left from 3 charm-packs... I really really used the fabric that was chosen for the challenge :)


Vote for me!! Please Please Please!!! :) :)
To vote you just need to +1 me following THIS LINK on Google+,
and/or LIKE my project on FB forllowing THIS OTHER LINK :)
The 25 projects with the most votes will go on to the final round of voting. You can like more than one project... but please please please, can you like mine too? :)

3 comments:

  1. love your design. I always make two sided quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! Great idea to use the reverse side to tone them down a little where necessary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!

UA-37918212-1